Tooth problems can be extremely painful and irritating so much so that it can even hamper the daily chores and activity of an individual. So, the best option is to get avail dental treatment and get the issue cured so that you can restore normal activities soon. You must have heard about tooth abscesses. It is the built-up or formation of pus inside the teeth or gums that lead to pain and discomfort. It is formed due to a bacterial infection caused by the accumulation of soft pulp of the tooth. Plague is formed in the mouth and if it is not removed through proper flossing and brushing then bacteria spread inside the soft tissue of gums or teeth. The result is the formation of an abscess.
Several dental clinics are available near you. It is better to go for a regular check-up with your dentist so that you can have healthy teeth. Several other teeth ailments exist that require medical attention. Check the packages provided by the dental clinics for dental procedures. They have designed packages for the customers/patients that are competitive in the related field. The dental implant cost in Chennai can be easily found with the help of experts in the dental clinic.
Before understanding the best way to treat an abscessed tooth, it is essential to understand facts about abscessed teeth:
- Dental abscesses are of three types: Periodontal, Gingival, and Periapical.
- A periapical abscess is caused when a dental cavity or decay allows the creation of tiny holes in the tooth. Bacteria enter the tooth through these holes and caries break the soft layer of tissue under the enamel that is called dentine. If left untreated, the hole will widen and affect the soft inner pulp by infecting it. This condition is called pulpitis. With the progress of pulpitis, bacteria infect the bone surrounding the tooth causing the formation of pus.
- Bacteria present in plague infects the gums and the condition is called periodontitis. It causes inflammation of the gums resulting in the separation of the tooth from the gums. A gap is formed when the periodontal ligament separates from the root. This pocket becomes a soft target for bacteria built-up giving way to the formation of pus. Even dental procedures can give rise to periodontal abscesses accidentally. Gum damage can also lead to such an abscess.
- A dental abscess is caused due to a bacterial infection.
- Major symptoms of tooth abscess consist of pain, fever, or a bad taste in the mouth.
- Eat soft food so that pain can be managed. Using an over-the-counter pain killer can be helpful. The dentist may even prescribe a course of antibiotics for the issue.
- One of the main treatments for tooth abscesses is root canal treatment.
Now, let us explore the treatment for an abscessed tooth:
First of all, any person suffering from an abscess on a tooth must seek professional help at the earliest because throbbing pain is one of the main symptoms of the problem that disrupts a normal lifestyle. The dentist can easily diagnose the problem and prescribe the course of action to be undertaken to get rid of the issue. If anyone experience swallowing or breathing issues with the abscessed tooth should immediately go to the emergency ward of a hospital.
Though a general physician is not the right expert who can provide complete relief but can at least prescribe medicines to manage the pain until the person gets help from a qualified dentist.
The incision is one of the common treatments for an abscessed tooth. The dentist will give local anaesthesia and make a cut to allow the pus to drain and relieve the person of the throbbing pain. Bacteria trapped pus should be drained for relief.
Treatment of periapical abscess
In such a case, root canal treatment is one of the best options. The dentist has the specialized equipment to drill a hole into the dead tooth to allow draining of pus. The damaged tissue is removed from the pulp. A space is created that should be filled to prevent further infection.
Periodontal abscess treatment
The periodontal pocket is cleaned after the release of pus. The tooth’s surface is made even and smoothed with scaling and the gum line is planed. The tooth is thus healed and prevented from the occurrence of further infections.
If a person experiences recurring abscess in the case of a periapical one then surgery is prescribed. This is essential because the diseased tissue should be removed and an oral surgeon should carry out the procedure.
In the case of a periodontal abscess, the recurring infection can be handled by reshaping the gum tissue and removing the periodontal pocket. Again, the procedure should be performed by an oral surgeon.
If there is a return of infection even after the surgery, then the tooth should be extracted to prevent further problems and damage.
It is important to get treatment for an abscessed tooth. If such a condition is left untreated, then recurring pus formation will keep disturbing the person. So, it is better to get a confirmed treatment for the condition.
It is important to note here that the person having an abscessed tooth should not eat hard things. Soft food should be taken. It is better to avoid chewing from the side that has an infection and allow the other side of the mouth to do the needful. Have your medicines timely. Complete the course of antibiotics, if prescribed by the dentist. Do not floss the infected tooth. Use a soft brush for brushing. These are simple tips that can help to manage the issue.
Any kind of dental problem should not be left unattended. Abscess formation leads to throbbing pain and hence is impossible to avoid. A normal lifestyle is hampered if the problem is not treated. The dentist is the best judge for addressing the issue and prescribing the right course of treatment. Any kind of pus formation in the human body can also lead to the occurrence of fever with pain. Hence, treating the infection is an absolute necessity.